There is something so appealing about a bright, colorful salad. For some reason I think color = flavor, definitely true in this case! This salad is fresh and light.
The dressing is simple, but delicious. It is one of my favorites.
- 2 lemons
- about 1/4 C olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Combine the juice of 2 lemons with the equivalent amount of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Put into a sealed container and shake to emulsify the dressing.
Fresh ingredients are key here but can be altered based on dietary needs. The cheese is not necessary but adds a nice kick to it. The pistachios can easily be switched out for sunflower seeds or walnuts.
- 1 package of organic greens of your choice
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thinly (save the fennel sprigs!)
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- about 1/2 C roasted pistachios (or nut(s) of your choice)
- about 1/4 C gorgonzola cheese (optional)
Toss the lettuce with about 3/4 of the dressing in a separate bowl. Then place the greens on your serving plate. Put the fennel, orange, grapefruit, pistachios, and cheese on top of the bed of lettuce. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top of the citrus. Sprinkle the fennel sprigs on top. And enjoy!
*Healthy hint: By tossing the lettuce and dressing in a separate bowl, and then placing the greens on the serving plate, you will be leaving behind extra dressing and extra calories. It will leave the salad coated but not drenched in dressing.