On December 24, Italians from all over celebrate Christmas Eve with The Feast of 7 Fishes (or sometimes called The Vigil). Typically the meal consists of 7 different seafood dishes. I had this in mind when putting together the salad below. It is a festive and healthy dish that could be served during Christmas or year round.
- 2 bunches of baby arugula
- About 15 sliced cherry tomatoes
- About 20 bite sized mozzarella balls*
- 1/4 cup basil, torn into small pieces
- One 4.4 oz can of olive oil packed sardines (the smallest ones you can find)**
*If you do not consume dairy or just don't like mozzarella, cannellini beans can be substituted or even just added to this dish to boost protein and fiber.
**Sardines are loaded with vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids. They're a good protein source as well. Here is a fabulous link that lays out all of the fish's benefits.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients and shake in a sealed container to emulsify
- Toss dressing with the greens
- Lay tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and sardines on top of the arugula
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top
- Optional: drizzle some of the olive oil from the sardine can over the salad for extra flavor