Portuguese kale + bean soup
Happy weekend friends! My mom made this the other night and I couldn't help but share it! This soup was so delicious and loaded with healthy ingredients. The flavors just came together so nicely. We were going to add some parmesan cheese on top and Sriracha inside to give it a kick, but after taking a bite we realized it needed nothing extra! What I really like about this is how versatile you can make it. You can add or subtract depending on your dietary needs.
- 3 medium potatoes, we used yukon golds, diced to bite sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- About 4 diced sausages, being vegetarian we love to use a meat substitute you can pick up at Whole Foods or Safeway called Field Roast*
- 1 quart soup base of your choosing, we used a mushroom base
- Chopped parsley, basil, and oregano to taste (we used just a small bunch of each)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
*The meat, fake or real, is not necessary. I would recommend adding a kick to the soup if you don't add this ingredient. Sriracha or Pepper Plant would do the job.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat
- Add in potatoes and onions, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring
- Add garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, and kale, cover until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add in everything that's left: beans, tomatoes, meat, and broth
- Bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce heat back down to medium and cook for another 5-10 minutes
- You know it is done when the potatoes are tender
- Enjoy with a big hunk of fresh bread!