This is a dish that we often make up at the beginning of the week and then eat throughout. Two tacos each usually fills us up, and after you have the filling made, it's super easy to rewarm. This dish is vegetarian, gluten free (if you make sure to use gluten-free corn tortillas) and can be altered to be vegan if the cheese is left out.
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper (green just doesn't taste as good)*
- 1 avocado
- frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- shredded cheese
- corn tortillas
- pickled jalapeño slices (our favorite jar is by Hatch found at whole foods)
*feel free to use any veggies of your choice, these are just some of our favorites!
- sauté onion, garlic, broccoli, bell pepper, and zucchini in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper
- add frozen corn at end to defrost and heat through
- add drained and rinsed black beans until warm
- set aside mixture once everything is hot
- in a separate pan, heat tortillas with cheese until cheese is melted on top of tortillas
- add veggie mixture
- garnish with avocado, cilantro and pickled jalapeños
You can keep the veggie mixture in your fridge throughout the week and just rewarm, creating a few batches of tacos for 2. This dish is always a hit when we have company over and tastes even more delicious when made with homemade corn tortillas. Corn tortilla recipe is coming up so stay tuned for that one.