vegan, gluten free quinoa protein bars
Between work, the blog, and yoga, extra time is hard to come by. I am always trying to find healthy protein bars to grab on the go when the days get hectic. I decided to try making some myself and see if it was something easy enough to bake on a Sunday and have available throughout the week. This recipe definitely is! Making our own bars will also save us some money, since it can get pretty pricey for good quality ones. These bars are high in protein, fiber, potassium, and omega 3s.
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup (can sub honey if not vegan)
- 1 cup dried mission figs
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or nut butter of your choosing)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9✕9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Grind up the figs in a food processor.
- Add in everything else except the water and process until everything combines into a ball like form.
- Slowly add in the water until the ball separates out in the processor.
- Transfer the dough to the baking dish. Press the dough down into the dish. Try to even it out the best you can, so that it can bake evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from the dish.
- Slice up the bars and store in the fridge.