2016 Green Beauty Makeup Favorites
It's officially time for a makeup favorites update! As some of you may already know, I try to keep my beauty routine all natural, non-toxic, free from any toxic chemicals, and as clean as possible. Many of us understand and embrace the benefits of eating clean, avoiding processed foods and getting lots of fruits and veggies. Less of us know how nasty and toxic beauty products are in the U.S. and how much it matters to rid ourselves of those toxins. Check out this post from last year for more information regarding toxic beauty products. In summary, though, our skin is our largest organ. Most of what we put on our skin gets absorbed into our bodies, and unfortunately the U.S. doesn't have any organization which truly focuses on policing what cosmetic companies put into our beauty products. Europe has banned hundreds of ingredients from beauty products while the FDA has banned only 11 in the U.S. According to the EWC "personal care products are manufactured with 10,500 unique chemical ingredients, some of which are known or suspected carcinogens, toxic to the reproductive system, or known to disrupt the endocrine system. Though some companies make products that are safe to eat, others choose to use dangerous ingredients like coal tar and formaldehyde, both human carcinogens, and lead acetate, a developmental toxin."
Below are 2 tools that have helped me to clean up my beauty routine:
- EWG's Skin Deep Database. This is a database in which you can search thousands of products to find how clean they are for you. It's also just a great resource for learning more about eliminating toxic products from your life.
- Think Dirty App. This app has changed my life! I can scan or type in beauty products to get a clean rating from 0-10 (0 being the cleanest, and 10 being the most toxic). I always bust this app out when shopping for new makeup, body, or skincare products.
Ok, now let's get to the good stuff. Below are my favorite, use everyday makeup products from 2016. These products are all clean, safe, and work:
- 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream. This stuff smells like heaven, depuffs my eyes, and has become a staple in my morning skincare routine. I Love it. Buy it. You will love it too.
- Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil Free Moisturizer. This gets a 0 on the Think Dirty App which is awesome! I love the lightweight feel this moisturizer has on the skin and that it boasts 20% Zinc Oxide. I've used other Zinc Oxide moisturizers that felt thick and were difficult to rub into the skin, but this moisturizer feels like conventional with none of the toxic ingredients.
- RMS Beauty Oil. This oil is filled with a mix of organic, cold-pressed oils packed full of antioxidants. It's supposed to balance your skin while providing moisture, vitamins, and antioxidants. It smells amazing, absorbs quickly and makes my skin glow.
- Honest Beauty Tinted Moisturizer. This tinted moisturizer has an added SPF with Zinc Oxide. Zinc Oxide is a natural sun protectant and also helps to clarify the skin. I stopped using this product for a while and am so glad I've returned to using it. This provides a medium-full coverage dewey finish. I use the shade 'nectar'
- Glossier Stretch Concealer. Ok, this took over my life after I tried it. I used to love the RMS concealer, and I still believe it's a great concealer but this Glossier stretch concealer is so much better. It's creamy, has great coverage, and blends like a dream. It's awesome for under eyes, and made with good for you ingredients. Try it if you're in the market for a new concealer.
- RMS UnPowder. My skin is super oily. I have to wear a powder everyday. This one is translucent, clean, and works really well to set my makeup. RMS beauty is just such a great brand, and this product doesn't disappoint.
- Honest Beauty Luminizing Face Powder in Dusk Reflection. Think of this as the green, clean version of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders. I use this powder as a bronzer and it adds an overall diffused luminance to my skin. This has become a holy grail product! I never want to be without it. This product is a must have..meaning you seriously must try it.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Blush in 'Healthy'. This one made it on my list last year, and I continue to use it everyday. Don't know what else to say except that it's truly pigmented and this shade does look like a healthy glow.
- Glossier Boy Brow. This is a brow plumping, styling pomade. It's a great all-in-one brown product that makes my mornings easier and quicker. It's also become a cult product for a reason. You will love it as much as everyone else does.
- Glossier Generation G Lip tint. I just can't do lipstick. This is as bold as I can get, but I love how easy it feels. I have the shade 'crush' but I'm already plotting to get 'like' and 'jam'. Glossier is just an awesome brand with minimal, chic packaging and clean ingredients. Their mantra is "skin first. makeup second'. I just love that.
- Saje Wellness Transition Face & Body Mist in 'yoga' blend. This isn't technically a beauty product, but I use it after makeup every morning. It smells amazing, a little hippie, but beautiful and earthy. I'm waiting for Saje Wellness to release this perfume scent on their U.S. store so I can buy it. This brand is amazing! I want to buy everything they make.
- Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara. This is one of my favorite mascaras of all time. In my opinion, it's better than most conventional mascaras too. This mascara is super black, and makes my lashes look natural but enhanced in the best way. I can get away without eyeliner when I wear put this on my lashes. It's also super inexpensive. Bonus!
Hope this post helps. I've wasted a lot of money on natural makeup that just didn't perform well. All of these products are products I've tried, used over time, and loved over time. I hope you love them as much as I do.