5 Reasons to Eat Hemp Seeds
Hemp seeds a.k.a. hemp hearts, are the seeds of the hemp plant. They are neutral in flavor, add great texture to any meal, and pack a lot of nutrition in a small amount. Seeds should not contain any THC though there is a possibility they could have trace amounts from exposure during processing. Hemp seeds are my new, can't-live-without kitchen staple. Below are my top 5 reasons to eat hemp seeds:
- Protein: 3 tbls of hemp seeds have about 10g of protein which is pretty amazing. Protein and fiber help to keep you full longer, so adding hemp seeds to your meal will give it staying power to stave off the hangries.
- Fiber: Fiber is super important for digestion, feeding healthy bacteria in your gut micro biome and promoting colon health. More and more research is turning up confirming the importance of fiber in the diet for preventing multiple types of cancer.
- Weight Loss: Hemp seeds have healthy fats, fiber, and protein. Added fiber, healthy fat, and protein promote satiety which means you'll eat less snacks, get less hangry, and will be less likely to overeat at your next meal.
- Full of amino acids: Hemp seeds contain all 20 of the amino acids, including those that our bodies can't produce. For vegans and/or vegetarians, this is a very big deal.
- Promotes balance in the body: Full of Omega-3, and Omega-6, the nutritional profile of hemp seeds have been shown to help balance the body with regards to hormones, inflammation, and immune system. While hemp seeds aren't a 'cure all' they definitely support overall internal balance in the body.
We have been adding them to something everyday. Hemp seeds are perfect for adding to salads, soups, oatmeal, tacos, rice or lentil dishes, smoothies and smoothie bowls. 3-4 tbls is a typical serving so you don't need much to get the full benefits. You can buy at bag at your local health food store. We purchase ours online here and here. Enjoy : )