spicy, salty, protein packed zucchini pasta
This is my everything but the kitchen sink "pasta" with zucchini noodles instead of the real deal. But believe me, you won't miss traditional noodles one bit with this dish. I just threw in what I had on hand, which turned into a fabulous combination, but you can add anything and everything that sounds good to you. Spinach, cherry tomatoes, and/or parmesan cheese would be great additions. As well as some chicken breast if you are a meat eater. This meal is low carb, high protein, and full of healthy fats. If you are vegan or vegetarian just take out the sardines, but they do add a nice flavor and are packed with protein (23 grams in a can!) and good fats.
- 2 zucchini
- 6 ounces or a couple slices of extra firm tofu, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1 can sardines in extra virgin olive oil, drained
- 1/4 cup garbanzo beans, unsalted
- 3 garlic cloves
- red pepper flakes (if desired for a little kick)
- some good olive oil
- The zucchini is eaten raw, so just wash and turn into a spaghetti like consistency using a spiralizer (we used this), potato peeler, or julienne peeler.
- Saute olive oil and garlic until garlic begins to brown.
- Add sardines to the pan and stir for another minute or two before putting in the tofu, olives, and beans.
- Toss the noodles with the ingredients in the pan.
- Add seasoning of your choice and enjoy!